This is one to add to the winter dessert rotation! I’ve never made a bread & butter pudding in my life but now that winter is setting in, I thought it might be time to give it a go. If you have made one before, you’ll notice this method is less than traditional but hey, I’m not the traditional type! You can whip this up while dinner is cooking and have it out of the oven once you’ve finished dinner.
- 8 thick slices of white bread
- 1/3 cup vegan margarine
- 1/2 cup sultanas
- 1/4 cup demerara sugar
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 2 tablespoons corn flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 cups soy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Spread the vegan margarine on both sides of the bread and cut in half, lengthways.
- Place the bread pieces in a baking dish, shuffle them around to make them fit nice and snug.
- Add 2/3 of the sultanas to the dish, pushing some in between the pieces of bread.
- In a large saucepan, combine the caster sugar, plain flour, corn flour, cinnamon and lemon zest.
- Add the soy milk and vanilla extract, whisking constantly over medium-high heat until the mixture thickens.
- Once thick, pour the mixture evenly over the bread, making sure you get some between the slices of bread.
- Sprinkle the demerara sugar and remaining sultanas on top and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve warm.