Picking a sweet treat can be tough work; do you want something with a bit of crunch, like a cookie or do you want something with frosting, like a cupcake? My Chocolate Cookie Sandwiches are the obvious choice here because you get the best of both worlds! These chocolate cookies are fantastic on their own but are taken into another world of deliciousness when filled with vanilla cream and rolled in nuts or sprinkles. Stay tuned for more variations on this recipe, it’s a keeper!
Note: If you want this recipe to be soy free, make sure your vegan margarine and sprinkles are too!
- 2/3 cup vegan margarine
- 1 1/2 cups caster sugar
- 1 1/4 cups plain flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup vegan margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups icing sugar
- Nuts and sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 180°C and line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Using the paddle attachment on your electric mixer, combine your vegan margarine and caster sugar on medium-high until light and fluffy.
- Sift in the flour, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder and mix until a dough is formed.
- Scoop out a heaped tablespoon of dough and roll into a ball. Place onto the baking tray and do the same with the remaining dough, placing about 2cm apart on the tray.
- Dip the back of a large spoon or the bottom of a glass into some caster sugar and gently press each ball of dough down til it’s about 1cm thick.
- Place in the oven for 15-20 minutes, the cookies will look like they’re not set but they will!
- Allow to cool completely on the tray.
- While the cookies are cooling, prepare your filling by adding the rest of your vegan margarine to the electric mixer bowl. With a whisk attachment, whip the margarine for a minute before sifting in the icing sugar.
- Once the mixture is pale, light and fluffy, add the vanilla extract.
- When your cookies have cooled completely, grab one cookie, turn it upside-down and spread a heaped teaspoon of filling onto it before sandwiching with another cookie. Press together so the frosting comes to the very edge.
- Roll each cookie in sprinkles or nuts and set aside.