Makes 12-16 (depending on mould size)
Yep, you read that right, deviled freakin’ eggs! They look just like the real thing and if my memory serves me correctly, they taste pretty similar too (but of course this all comes with none of the unpleasantness of real eggs). The eggy tastes comes to you courtesy of black salt; an ingredient you can easily pick up at your local Indian grocery. The size and quantity of your batch will be dependent on the moulds you use and you can easily pick these up online for a few bucks (I used chocolate egg moulds). Take thrse guys along to your next party or picnic and they’re sure to be a real hit!
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk (or any other non-dairy milk)
- 2 teaspoons agar agar powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups (approximately one can) chickpeas
- 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1-2 teaspoons black salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Spray the moulds with spray olive oil.
- In a small saucepan, combine the almond milk, agar agar and salt. Whisk constantly over a high heat until boiling.
- Once boiling, allow to sit for a minute or two on the heat before whisking again and pouring into moulds.
- Place in the fridge to set for a few hours.
- When the whites have set, gently remove them from the mould.
- Using a knife, carefully cut a small chunk out of the white to fill with the yolk mixture.
- Make the yolk by blending together all of the ingredients until smooth.
- Pipe the mixture into the holes in the white, sprinkle with paprika and serve.