I don’t know why but there’s something a little more satisfying about pasta bake over a regular bowl of pasta. It doesn’t get more simple than this recipe, plus the addition of my quick white sauce adds that extra sum’n sum’n to take this dish from basic to bitchin’ in no time.
- 1 x 500 gram pack pasta (whatever kind you like!)
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 x 400 gram cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
Quick White Sauce
- 1/4 cup vegan margarine
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a large baking dish with spray oil.
- Cook the pasta according to packet instructions while you make your other sauces.
- To make the tomato sauce, heat some olive oil in a large saucepan before adding the onion and garlic.
- After a couple of minutes, add the crushed tomatoes, brown sugar, vegan Worcestershire and mixed herbs.
- Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- To make the white sauce, add the vegan margarine to a microwave safe bowl or jug. Microwave for 30 seconds or until the margarine has melted.
- Whisk in the flour and half of the soy milk. Cook again in the microwave for a minute. Whisk in the remaining soy milk and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Combine the pasta and tomato sauce and pour into the baking dish. Drizzle with the white sauce and bake for 15-20 minutes until the edges of the white sauce become golden.
- Serve immediately.