For a while now I’ve been craving Maltesers but short of a rumour I’ve heard about an elusive vegan version existing somewhere overseas (if you have access to them, please tell me!) I haven’t heard of anything remotely similar. I decided to combat my craving head on by creating this Vegan Malteser Slice; a thick crispy malt layer, topped with a thin layer of smooth chocolate. This sweet treat is easy to whip up in a jiffy and perfect for last minute parties or bake sales.
- 150grams vegan white chocolate
- 4 cups puffed rice cereal
- 1/2 cup liquid malt extract (I used Saunders)
- 200 grams vegan dark or milk chocolate
- Line a 26x16cm baking dish with baking paper.
- Melt the white chocolate before pouring into a large bowl with the puffed rice cereal, followed by the liquid malt extract. Mix until well combined.
- Pour the mixture evenly into the baking dish and press down firmly.
- Melt the vegan dark or milk chocolate and pour on top of the rice cereal mixture. Spread evenly and pop in the fridge until the chocolate has set.
- Remove from the fridge, slice and serve.