I had never tried a watermelon salad but had some lying around and threw caution to the wind. I made this salad half expecting that it would be friggin’ gross. It was not gross, in fact it was one of the dopest salads I’ve made. If you like not-gross things then try this salad, because it’s not gross.
Note: You’ve gotta make the tofetta at least 24 hours in advance, preferably longer.
- 1 200 gram block of high protein firm tofu
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs (optional)
- 1/4 of a large watermelon
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 1 small red onion
- 3/4 cup kalamata olives
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Make the tofetta by cutting the tofu into 2cmx2cm cubes and putting them into a jar. Add the remaining ingredients and shake, allow to sit in the fridge for at least 24 hours, shaking occasionally.
- Cut the watermelon into 4cmx4cm pieces and add to a large bowl.
- Thinly slice the fresh basil and red onion and add to the bowl also.
- Add the olives and gently toss the salad until ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Pour onto your serving dish before crumbling your desired amount of tofetta on top.
- Drizzle with olive oil and add salt and pepper before serving.