For a long time I had doubted the existence of fresh jalapeños because I sure as hell hadn’t seen any. Last weekend I couldn’t believe my eyes when I spotted a basket of glossy, green chilies in the distance at the supermarket so naturally I grabbed as many as I could and got to thinkin’ about a recipe. Here is that recipe.
Feel free to go ahead and fry these bad boys if you want to, I won’t judge you. I may even try it one day myself when I can be bothered dealing with a deep-fryer situation. Today is not that day.
- 12 fresh jalapeños
- 2/3 cup vegan cream cheese
- Handful of chives, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Preheat oven to 200°C and line a tray with baking paper.
- Cut each jalapeño down the longest edge, just a little to one side so you don’t cut through the stalk.
- Scoop out the seeds and remove any other bits from the inside, make sure you keep the right halves together and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the vegan cream cheese, chives, garlic powder, onion powder and salt. Mix until smooth and creamy.
- Spoon the mixture into each half of the jalapeño and put back together, securing with a toothpick. Repeat with the remaining jalapeños.
- In a shallow bowl or dish, whisk together the soy milk and apple cider vinegar.
- In another shallow bowl or dish, add the plain flour.
- In one more shallow bowl or dish, mix together the panko breadcrumbs and parsley.
- Gently dip each jalapeño into the soy milk mixture, then coat with flour, back to the soy milk and then finally coat with breadcrumbs.
- Place the jalapeños onto the baking tray, spray with olive oil and bake for 30 minutes or until golden.
- While baking, mix together some vegan mayo and lime juice to make a dipping sauce.
- Serve immediately (don’t try to remove the toothpicks before serving, I learned this lesson the hard way.)
Have you signed up for the Like A Vegan Newsletter? Sign up here to receive exclusive recipes, articles and offers you won’t get anywhere else!