Makes 6 large donuts
It’s bloody fun experimenting with different ways to make stuff and donuts are absolutely no exception. I’ve made them all kinds of ways like baked dough based and fried batter based but by far the easiest kind to make are baked batter donuts using a donut pan. You can pick these pans up super cheap on eBay and other online stores plus most good kitchen stores will have them; I’m going to buy a mini donut pan soon for extra cuteness.
For my first attempt I went with chocolate flavour because really who doesn’t like chocolate? Plus, I wasn’t really in the mood for plain vanilla. You can glaze or ice these babies but to avoid things getting to messy, I went with frosting this time around. When it comes down to it, these guys are essentially a cake in a donut’s clothing but do I really care? No, I do not.
- 1 cup soy milk (or any non-dairy milk)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate bits, melted
- 1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/3 cup vegan cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon soy milk (or any non-dairy milk)
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- Grease your donut pan and preheat the oven to 180°C.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the soy milk and apple cider vinegar before setting aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and baking soda before mixing through the caster sugar.
- Add the vanilla and canola oil to the soy milk mixture and combine before pouring into the dry mixture. Combine well with a fork or whisk until smooth and then pour in the melted chocolate. Mix again until evenly distributed.
- Use a piping bag with very wide nozzle to pipe the batter into the donut pan. You don’t want the batter to fill the pan completely but about 3/4 full should do the trick.
- Tap the pan gently on the bench to release any air bubbles before baking for 15 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, simply whisk together the peanut butter, cream cheese, vanilla and soy milk until smooth.
- Sift in the icing sugar and continue to whisk until combined.
- Spread evenly onto the donuts, add any optional extras and serve.