Is it just me or am I really harping back to my childhood and growing up in Newcastle lately? That may be why I had the sudden urge to recreate and veganise the chicken and mayo rolls from Henny Penny, a chain of fast food chicken restaurants in the Hunter.
I hadn’t really thought about roasting jackfruit until now but it really does have a different vibe when it’s cooked/stewed on a stovetop. A few crunchy bits around the edges and a much deeper flavour mean that this does recreate chicken quite well and is a great alternative because we should be looking after our feathered friends, not eating ’em!
- 2 560gm cans young jackfruit in brine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried mixed herbs
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 6 soft long rolls
- 1 small iceberg lettuce, shredded
- Vegan mayonnaise
- Drain the jackfruit and while still in a colander, break the chunks apart so you have stringy bits. Squeeze to remove excess water and place into a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, onion powder, garlic powder, herbs, nutmeg, cayenne, pepper, salt and nutritional yeast. Mix well to create a weird looking paste.
- Pour the paste over the jackfruit, mixing well to make sure it’s evenly coated. Cover and place in the fridge for at least a couple of hours.
- Preheat your oven to 160°C and grease a baking tray with olive oil spray or line with baking paper.
- Take the jackfruit out of the oven and spread it evenly onto the tray. Spray with a little extra olive oil and sprinkle with a little more brown sugar (optional).
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden. Some crunchy bits are good but you still want majority of the jackfruit to be tender.
- Cut the rolls and stuff with shredded lettuce before adding the jackfruit and a generous drizzle of vegan mayo. You can also use gravy if you want an extra saucy roll.
Have you signed up to the Like A Vegan Newsletter? Sign up now to receive exclusive recipes, deals and updates you won’t find anywhere else!