If you ask me what my fave sweet treats are you’re going to hear two things: ice cream and donuts. I don’t have much of a sweet tooth but put either one of those in front of me and I’ll polish it off quick smart. Making badass doughies is one of my fave things to do, espesh because vegan donuts are bloody hard to come by in Newcastle, and I decided to stuff ’em full of sweet sweet raspberry jam.
- 6 tablespoons warm water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine, melted
- 2 cups plain flour (plus extra for dusting)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup and 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- Oil for frying
- 1 jar raspberry jam for filling
- Chuck the warm water in a cup and sprinkle the dry yeast on top. Set aside.
- Whisk together the soy milk and apple cider vinegar. Also set aside.
- Sift the flour into the bowl of your electric mixture, followed by the salt and 2 tablespoons of caster sugar.
- Create a well in the centre of the dry ingredient and pour in the yeast mixture, milk mixture and melted margarine.
- Using dough hooks, mix the ingredients until a good dough is formed and a little extra mixing for good measure.
- Tip out onto a floured surface and knead into a smooth ball.
- Grease the inside of a large clean bowl with olive oil and plop the dough in.
- Cover with cling wrap and set aside until doubled in size, this can take a while especially when it’s cold. Find somewhere warm (I sat mine on a table in the same room as our heater).
- Tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and again knead into a smooth ball.
- Divide the dough into 12 even pieces. before rolling each piece into a ball and placing onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Cover the trays with tea towels and set aside until also doubled in size.
- Heat the oil on the high side of medium in a large frypan or saucepan.
- Once the donuts have doubled in size, gently tip one into the oil. After about 2 minutes, gently turn over and cook for a further 2 minutes. If the first one cooks too fast, lower the heat of the oil.
- Do this with a few donuts at a time but be careful not to overcrowd the oil.
- Place each one on paper towel to absorb any excess oil before rolling in the remaining caster sugar.
- Warm the jam in the microwave or on the stove before using a piping bag or filling gadget to inject 1 tablespoon of jam into each donut.