Much to my dismay, the warmer weather is insisting on creeping in. In an effort to tolerate and accept the unwanted increase in temperature, I’m turning my attention to what’s most important – food!
Jackfruit is the most excellent taco filling because you can flavour it basically whatever you want plus it has the greatest meaty texture, the perfect pal to the crunchy lime slaw you’re going to stuff into those bad boys.
- 2 560gram tins of young jackfruit in brine (you should know by now to NOT buy ripe jackfruit in syrup)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 cup vegan chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Up to 1 tablespoon of the sauce from a tin of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (add some chipotle too for more kick)
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce (ketchup)
- 1/4 red cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 white cabbage, shredded
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon agave syrup
- 8 small, soft tortillas
- 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise
- Crushed peanuts
- Drain the jackfruit before peeling apart the chunks and discarding the seeds. You’ll be left with a bowl of stringy jackfruit goodness.
- Heat a large saucepan before adding the olive oil and jackfruit.
- Sprinkle the jackfruit with the brown sugar and over high heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add the stock and spices and stir through. Pop the lid on the saucepan, reduce to a low heat and allow to cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Stir in the adobo and tomato sauces, coating the jackfruit nicely. Cook for another 10 minutes with the lid on.
- Make the slaw by throwing the shredded cabbage in a bowl. Whisk together the white wine vinegar, lime juice and agave syrup before coating the cabbage.
- Warm the tortillas and add a generous amount of chipotle jackfruit before adding the lime slaw, a drizzle of vegan mayo and a handful of crushed nuts.
- Serve immediately with a wedge of lime.