You know that feeling when you’re hella hungry but it’s so hot and you can’t be effed making a huge meal? Pretty sure rice paper rolls were invented for that very reason (no need to Google it, trust me). You really can stuff these babies with whatever you want but I’ve included my fave combo for maximum health and crunch.
Once you try ’em with my super quick peanut dipping sauce, your summer fling will be locked in. Oh, they make an awesome picnic/pot luck contribution too!
- 1 baby cos lettuce
- 1 small carrot
- 1 small red capsicum
- 1 small Lebanese cucumber
- Fresh basil
- 150g high protein, firm tofu
- 10 large rice papers
Peanut Dipping Sauce
- 1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1-2 tablespoons soy sauce (sub for a GF version if necessary)
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- Juice of half a lime
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon crushed peanuts
- Rinse and dry your baby cos leaves before rinsing and thinly slicing your carrot, red capsicum and cucumber (be sure to cut them all a similar length).
- Cut the tofu to the same length as the veggies and set them all aside.
- Wet a tea towel, wring it out and lay it flat on your bench.
- Rinse a rice paper sheet under warm water for about 10 seconds before laying on the wet tea towel.
- Pop a baby cos leaf horizontally in the top third of the rice paper and fill it with carrot, capsicum, cucumber, tofu and fresh basil.
- Fold the top of the rice paper over the lettuce left and roll a little to secure before folding in the edges and rolling tightly.
- Repeat this process with the remaining ingredients until all rice papers are filled and rolled.
- Make the dipping sauce by whisking together the peanut butter, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, lime juice and garlic powder. Feel free to adjust the ingredients to your taste and desired consistency.
- Spoon into a small dish and sprinkle with crushed peanuts.
- Cut each rice paper roll in half and serve on a tray with the dipping sauce.