The Halal Snack Pack or HSP as it is affectionately known, has really taken off over the past 12 months or so, thanks in part to the current Australian political climate (who would’ve thought, right?) The other reason though is that HSPs are a taste phenomenon, one that vegans rarely get to enjoy thanks to the overall meatiness of the dish.
Thanks to the Young Jackfruit in Brine by Nature’s Charm I have managed to create an insanely good vegan Halal Snack Pack: Crispy chips and marinated jackfruit slathered in my quick and easy garlic sauce and sriracha before being topped with chilli and spring onion for that final tasty touch.
Don’t get me wrong, I love a good mock meat but sometime’s it’s nice to step away from the processed stuff. That’s why young jackfruit is so great! It’s fruit so basically no matter what you do to it, it’s healthy (don’t Google that, ok) and it’s so versatile that you can create so many amazing dishes. Probably none greater than my HSP though.
This recipe is really easy to whip up already but if you’re feeling super lazy, you can always skip the jackfruit prep and go straight to Nature’s Charm’s Jackfruit Confit – a pre-seasoned and ready to heat jackfruit product that lends itself to a whole bunch of tasty applications.
- 1 can Nature’s Charm Young Jackfruit in Brine
- Juice of one lemon
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce (or soy sauce)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 500g oven-baked fries (or potato)
- 1/4 cup sriracha
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- Drain the jackfruit before squeezing out the excess liquid and pulling apart with your hands to create shreds.
- Add the lemon juice, 1/3 cup of olive oil and vegan Worcestershire sauce to a shallow container and mix well before adding the garlic, parsley, brown sugar, cracked pepper, salt and paprika.
- Pop in the jackfruit and stir to coat well.
- Put the lid on the container and gently shake to distribute the marinade. Place in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.
- Make the garlic sauce by blending together the vegan mayonnaise, olive oil, garlic and lemon juice until smooth before setting aside.
- Prepare the fries or potato in the oven and cook until crispy.
- While the fries are cooking, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a frypan before gently adding the marinated jackfruit.
- Mix frequently on a high heat for 8-10 minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed and the jackfruit begins to brown.
- Spread the fries onto a serving dish (or individual ones) and top with the cooked jackfruit mixture.
- Slather on a generous amount of the garlic sauce and sriracha before sprinkling with spring onion and chilli.
- Serve immediately.
This was a sponsored post. You can learn more about sponsored posts and how they help improve Like A Vegan here.