It’s time to hit you with another recipe to add to your Christmas list and while it doesn’t sit at the top of the tree, it’s most definitely the star. My Mushroom, Lentil + Potato Pie is kinda like a classic shepherds pie but with a twist; the potato is roasted! Plus, just about anyone can enjoy this baby because it’s gluten, nut and soy free. Merry Christmas indeed!
Tip: Cook the lentil mixture and par-boil the potatoes a day in advance to reduce cooking time on Christmas Day!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 cup button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups stock (I use vegan beef-style stock)
- 1 teaspoon corn flour
- 1 1/2 cups dry, green lentils
- 1 tablespoon dried mixed herbs
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 750g white potatoes
- Salt and spring onion to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large saucepan before adding the onion and garlic.
- Mix well and allow to soften before adding the sliced mushrooms.
- After a few minutes add the stock, along with the cornflour.
- Rinse the lentils and add to the saucepan before adding the herbs, paprika and turmeric.
- Bring to the boil before reducing to a simmer. Simmer for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally until all of the stock has been absorbed by the lentils.
- While the lentil mixture is cooking, chop the potatoes into cubes before par-boiling.
- Once par-boiled, drain and set aside.
- When the lentil mixture is ready, pour into the base of a baking dish.
- Toss the potato in the remaining olive oil and add to the top of the lentil mixture, avoiding as many gaps as possible.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the potato is golden on top.
- Generously sprinkle with salt, cracked pepper and spring onion before serving with your fave vegan gravy.