Price: From $9.50AUD
Where to Buy: www.rozas.com.au
Sure, it’s fun to make your own sauces but sometimes we vegans do it out of necessity because there ain’t always a ready-made vegan sauce option nearby. That’s why I was hella stoked when I was asked to try Roza’s Gourmet, a range of chutneys, pestos and sauces made with all natural ingredients and zero artificial preservatives.
Roza’s Gourmet started in Brisbane in 1991 and has been around for 25 years. After Roza’s death, her daughter Jasmin took the wheel and has turned the company into a thriving business, using primarily local ingredients and manufacturing in Australia to keep jobs within the local community.
Hot Lover is made from a selection of spicy ingredients like cayenne, habanero and curry powder but thanks to the addition of tomato paste and some other bits and bobs, it actually isn’t all that hot. You could chuck this stuff on just about any dish to give it a little kick and boost the flavour, I reckon it’d taste especially good spooned on top of a stir-fry!
I’m a chutney fiend so naturally I was stinging to take Roza’s Tomato Chutney for a spin. With all the usual suspects in the ingredients list like tomato, onion and brown sugar they’ve also kept it tradish with sultanas added to the mix. It’s a bloody good chutney, perfect to throw on your next sanga.
I love pesto but don’t make it as much as I could because you need SO. MUCH. BASIL and tbh I just can’t be bothered. Stacks of store-bought pesto contains dreaded parmesan but Roza’s have solved this dilemma by making a Dairy Free Pesto! Bursting with flavour and with a great consistency, I couldn’t wait to throw this stuff into a pasta dish so check out my Pesto & Pea Penne recipe.
This quick and tasty weeknight meal makes it easy to be green!
- 400g penne pasta
- 1 240mL jar Roza’s Dairy Free Pesto
- 3 cups frozen peas, steamed
- 1/3 cup sliced green olives
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the penne pasta according to packet instructions until al dente, drain.
- Return the drained pasta to the pot and pour in the jar of Roza’s Dairy Free Pesto. Stir through over medium heat.
- Add the peas and olives to the pot and mix through evenly before removing from the heat.
- Serve with a sprinkle of vegan parmesan and spring onion, add salt and pepper to taste.